Everybody loves well-made coffee, but just a handful knows how to make such great coffee. And this is why we’ve seen it wise to talk about how to make great coffee at home or in a commercial setup right from the coffee beans in a cheaper way. You only need the best espresso machine to enjoy high-quality coffee.
The espresso machine is known for the production of dark, highly concentrated and rich brews that are favored by most coffee shops. This is the reason why many people have in the recent past preferred having coffee in the coffee shops and not at home.
To have the best and strong coffee “shots,” the coffee beans need to be ground finely before being packed. The ideal espresso machine allows even beginners to use it without much struggle. You can bring happiness into your home by getting your family an espresso machine for their own use.
You are just a few steps away from getting an espresso machine of your choice. We have carefully researched, analyzed and tested most of the products currently available in the market and narrowed down to the best 10.
Here they are plus everything you need to know about them. Additional information has also been included in this piece for your own use. Take a look:
- CISNO Electric Portable Espresso Machine– Multiple Carrying Options
CISNO Electric Portable Espresso Machine is probably one of the best coffee-making machines you will ever come across. Why do we say so? This machine has been originally constructed and tested to meet quality standards. Besides, its compact design makes it travel-friendly given that it is lightweight.
It’s a very versatile machine that you can carry along during business trips, hiking and during other camping activities. The fact that it can be operated using a 12-volt car charger makes it a perfect fit for RV camping as well. Its design and shape make it possible to fit in a bottle or cup holder.
With this product, be sure to get unique aromas and exceptional tastes from your ready-to-go coffee. The other great news about this product is the fact that it is automated and is compatible with the reusable stainless steel capsules and Nespresso capsule.
- Weighs about 3.51 pounds
- Pressure pump of up to 15 bars
- Streamline and compact design
- Powered by rechargeable lithium-ion 12-volt battery
- Compatible with genuine Nespresso capsules
- Has dimensions of 3.1 by 9.9 by 3.3 inches
- Well-built and durable
- Easy to clean up
- Cheap compatible pods
- Easy to operate
- Cannot be used when being charged if the battery is dead
- Constant changing of the pods is a bit costly
- Breville Nespresso Inissia Espresso Machine– Ideal for Providing Several Individual
Nespresso Inissia Espresso Machine from Breville is the perfect alternative to our top pick above. This is because it is cheaper and of great quality as well. It is a single serve unit which you can use to serve yourself coffee at any given time.
The product is lightweight, compact and designed with ergonomic handles as well to make it easy to fit any kind of interior environment. It is designed with different kinds of colors to make it nice-looking. You don’t have to wait for long to have your coffee ready when using it; in just a matter of seconds your drink will be ready for consumption.
It is also made in a way that it saves your energy. What’s more, this machine also boasts of programmable Lungo and Espresso buttons that make it possible to adjust the size of the cup. The drip tray that folds is capable of accommodating cup sizes which are larger.
- Delivers bar pressure of up to 19 bars
- Weighs 5.29 pounds
- Has dimensions of 4.7 by 9 by 12.6 inches
- The water tank has a capacity of 24 ounces
- 1200W of rated power
- Has a warranty of 1 year
- Automatically turns to power-saving mode after 9 minutes
- Easy and quick to operate
- Convenient and tasty coffee pods
- Reasonably priced
- Compact and lightweight
- Saves energy
- Solidly designed for durability
- Noisy during operation
- Water heating cycle takes time
- DeLonghi Inissia Espresso Machine with Aeroccino– Noiseless and Vibration Free
Are you in need of barista-like coffee at any moment? Look no further as this is the product you have been waiting for to help you achieve your dreams. Its one-touch operation makes it simple and easy to use. It is available in either black or silver colors.
This espresso machine is energy-saving; therefore, you won’t have to be worried about your power bills. It is also capable of accommodating different cup sizes, even the largest ones, therefore, ensuring that you get satisfied.
The process of making your coffee selection will be very quick when using this machine; just making a one-touch and in 25 seconds you’ll be good to go. It comes with a user manual that you need to refer to before subjecting the espresso machine into use.
Each of these machines comes with 16 capsules with different but nice aromas to spice up your coffee. And note that it is only compatible with Nespresso capsules.
- Delivers pressure of 19 bars
- Contains Aeroccino 3 for finely textured and smooth cold or hot milk froth
- Water tank of 23.8 ounces in capacity
- Accompanied by a cable which is 2.6 feet in length
- Dimensions of 4.6 by 12.6 by 9.1 inches
- Weighs 5.29 pounds
- Has programmable buttons
- Saves energy
- Relatively affordable
- Easy to clean up
- No vibration or noise
- Doesn’t steam milk well
- Pricey pods
- Coffee Café Barista Espresso Machine– The Most Versatile Coffee Maker
Mr. Coffee Café Barista Espresso Machine is another great machine you need to look out for. This is because it is very simple to use which makes it highly recommendable for beginners as well. The one-touch controls allow for selection between double and single shots.
It is also designed to operate with a control knob that can be adjusted. Its purchase includes a recipe book that allows you create different kinds of coffee drinks. The milk reservoir of this machine is removable and this makes it possible to store milk that hasn’t been used during brewing.
Apart from the espresso, this product produces high-quality latte selections and cappuccino. It is easy to clean; just do it in the sink without much effort.
- The pressure pump generates 15 bars of pressure
- Comes with an extension cord measuring 26 inches
- Power consumption of 1040 watts
- Semi-automatic 3-in-1
- Automatic milk frothing
- Removable milk and water reservoirs
- Dimensions of 8.86 by 11.22 by 12.6 inches
- Has a weight of 10.37 pounds
- Easy and quick to use
- Cleanup is a breeze
- Automatic milk frothing
- Allows for preservation of unused milk
- Easy to fill reservoirs
- Comes with a recipe book
- Poorly designed steam pressure unit
- Cheaply made water reservoir
- Bialetti 4942 Moka Red Espresso Machine– The Simplest and Easiest to Use
This is the cheapest espresso machine you can consider whenever you are in need of a new product but you find yourself financially unstable. The cheap price doesn’t mean that its qualities have been compromised as it also performs so well in preparing espresso.
Bialetti 4942 Moka Red Espresso machine has taken the art of brewing coffee to a higher level. This machine is a leading brand due to its beauty and functionality when placed in the kitchen and its environs. It also comes in various colors and styles to choose from.
The distinctive styling and advanced technology employed by the manufacturer creates a product that is easy to use and nice-looking. This product, being the heart of your home, will bring your family members closer together than before.
- Makes 3 cups of espresso coffee
- Made of aluminum and plastic
- Has dimensions of 7.87 by 9.84 by 5.9 inches
- Weighs 1.06 pounds
- Works with all kinds of cookers excluding induction
- Very affordable
- Adds nice aroma to the coffee
- Easy to use and clean
- Requires minimal maintenance
- Small capacity
- Aicok Espresso Machine– The Most Efficient, Fast and Dynamic
Aicok is another high-quality machine that allows coffee lovers like you to prepare espresso with barista-like qualities. Its use is very easy even for beginners and, therefore, allows you to brew one or even two espressos simultaneously.
It has a heater that is highly powered, therefore, making the process of brewing coffee simple and quick. To add to its effectiveness, it is semi-automatic which means that you will not get quite involved with a lot of tasks during brewing process.
Apart from brewing espresso, this machine also does well in frothing milk, making of Moka, latte and cappuccino. The espresso resulting from the use of this machine is rich-tasting since coffee oil and coffees’ internal layers get extracted, therefore, ensuring that you only get to enjoy pure coffee.
Isn’t this what you have been longing for? Then don’t waste any more time, just get one to use at home.
- 2-in-1 semi-automatic machine
- Has a high-pressure pump that delivers up to 15 bars of pressure
- Power heated rated at 1050W at 120-volts
- Comes with a 26-inch extension cord
- The body is entirely made of stainless steel
- Weighs 11.22 pounds
- Temperature control is automatic
- 43 Oz. removal reservoirs
- Warranty of 2 years
- Has dimensions of 11 by 8 by 11.5 inches
- Durable due to the stainless steel construction
- Easy to operate and clean
- Cup height can be adjusted
- Quick espresso preparation
- Compact, therefore, takes minimal kitchen space
- Noisy milk froth
- Doesn’t give an alert for low levels of water
- DeLonghi Nespresso Inissia Black Espresso Machine– Highly Programmable and Automatic
Here is another relatively cheaper espresso machine that will take your appetite for well-brewed coffee to another level without spending much. Its patent extraction system coupled with the one-touch operation makes it one of the best products you can always consider buying.
The aroma and taste that accompanies the espresso from this machine are top notch. Have your coffee ready in less than 30 seconds with this machine. This is a great thing as you can enjoy the espresso even if you are late for a function. You can prepare coffee of any cup size as it accommodates even the largest of cups.
It also saves your electric energy consumption whenever it has been left unused for 9 minutes which is a great plus again. Besides, it is compactly designed to fit in any kind of interior design. Its colors are also well done to satisfy your tastes and make it attractive.
- Pump pressure of 19 bars
- Automatic volume control
- 24 Oz. water reservoir
- Folding drip tray
- Switches to energy saving mode after 9 minutes
- Programmable Lungo and Espresso buttons
- Weighs 5.29 pounds with dimensions of 4.7 by 12.6 by 9 inches
- Great customer care services
- Takes up less space
- Clean appearance
- Easy to use
- Costly pods
- Saeco Picobaristo Espresso Machine– Best for Brewing Many Varieties of Coffee
This Saeco Espresso machine is the most expensive product in our list but again the largest as well. Its size and features marry so well to cater for its high cost. The variety and quality of coffee that this machine makes are on another level. Its user interface allows you to choose different specialties just from a single touch.
It can make 5,000 cups of coffee using the AquaClean filter that doesn’t cause descaling to the machine. It also makes latte macchiato and creamy cappuccino within a short period of time as well. Its durable ceramic grinders ensure the coffee has the perfect taste without tasting burnt or overheated.
This coffee machine allows for customization of coffee to meet your preference based on length, temperature and other settings. It is automatic, meaning that the machine almost does everything on its own. Cleaning it doesn’t need a lot of effort as well.
- Makes up to 5,000 cups of coffee
- Capable of brewing 11 varieties of coffee
- Allows for customization of settings
- It’s automatic
- Measures 8.7 by 16.9 by 13.4 inches
- Weighs 20.6 pounds
- One-touch convenience
- Larger capacity
- Easy to clean up
- Customization of settings
- Highly flavored coffee that doesn’t overheat or have burnt taste
- Doesn’t froth properly
- DeLonghi ESAM3300 Espresso Machine– Best Multipurpose Product
The ESAM3300 is another great product from De’Longhi that will allow your family and guests to enjoy properly brewed lattes and cappuccinos at any given time. It does frothing easier and quicker, therefore, creating authentic drinks in the process. You can use either whole beans or ground coffee with this machine as it allows for the usage of both.
The machine has different settings which can be customized to produce coffee strengths that meet an individual’s preferences. Among the settings is also the choice of cup size that is likely to leave you satisfied.
This automatic espresso machine is durable and will make you enjoy coffee for a long period. Another good thing is that it brews cup after cup of coffee instantly so you will not be kept waiting. To make this possible, this extractable and compact brew unit self-adjusts for production of one or two espresso shots.
- Has programmable settings
- Allows of a maximum cup height of 4.25 inches
- An automatic machine that is streamlined and compact in design
- Customizable brewing settings
- Integrated burr grinder for grinding fresh coffee beans
- Self-adjusting brew unit
- Silver in color with dimensions of 11 by 15.3 by 14.4 inches
- Has a weight of 27 pounds
- Easy and quick to set up
- Prepares coffee faster
- Easy to clean
- Makes double cup from the one-touch operation
- Compact and attractive
- Handling and operation is easy
- A little louder
- Small-capacity water reservoir
- Breville BES870XL Barista Espresso Machine– Best in Terms of Precision in All Aspects
Breville BES870XL is another high-quality espresso machine that will enable you to get back the coffee freshness from ground beans that are already losing their flavor and taste. The fact that it has an integrated grinder makes it convenient to produce tasty espresso right from the beans.
This product is meant for use by everyone; whether a complete beginner or an expert in coffee brewing. It is designed with features that are for use by either beginners or experienced baristas. What’s more, it also adjusts the temperature of the water after steam to ensure maximum extraction temperature.
Besides, you can customize the pre-set double and single shot settings to appropriate volumes. Easily prepare good espresso at home from this well-built and durable machine in a few minutes. Its casing makes it really attractive; something that will bring the best out of your kitchen.
- Integrated burr grinder
- Water tank with a capacity of 67 Oz.
- Removal drip tray
- Pressure of 15 bars
- Operates using 110-120-volt resulting in power consumption of 1600 watts
- Automatic adjustment of water temperature
- Weighs 23 pounds and measures 12.5 by 13.25 by 15.75 inches
- Minimal maintenance
- Cleaning out the filters is easy
- Easy to operate
- Attractive stainless steel appearance
- Amazing frother
- Constant refilling of the water tank
- A bit pricey
Types of Espresso Machines
There are different types of espresso machines. You need to be fully aware of these types of machines so that you can choose what suits your needs with a lot of ease. They can, however, be classified based on the driving mechanism, automation type and depending on structure.
In this section, we are going to look at the different types of espresso machines that fall into the above categories.
- Based on Driving Mechanism
The driving mechanism is simply the mode of operation that the machine employs. It is this driving mechanism that dictates the effort that you will use during operation. The mechanism will in a way determine the bar pressure that the espresso outputs.
Based on this mechanism, these are the types of espresso machines you can find:
Steam-Driven Espresso Machines
Pump-Driven Espresso Machines
Piston-Driven Espresso Machines
Air Pump Driven Espresso Making Machines
- Based on Structure
Espresso machines are constructed differently from one another which bring about the difference in structure that you need to consider as well. Based on the structure, here are the espresso machine types you can find in the market:
Pod Espresso Machines
Lever Espresso Machiness
- Based on Automation
Automation is replacing human effort in espresso machines. In this category, we also have types of espresso machines such as:
How to Choose the Best Espresso Machine
There is a wide range of espresso makers currently in the market. To narrow down to the product of your choice, you need to carefully examine the available products based on features and factors such as the following:
- Size of the Machine
There are some espresso machines that are very big and can take up a significant chunk of your kitchen space. Make sure that you only purchase a product that won’t make you sacrifice other essential appliances. Go for a sizeable machine that will meet your home demands.
- Ease of Use and Cleaning
The different types of espresso machines have their own conveniences during usage. The automated types are the easiest to use though they are a bit pricey for that matter. The programmable settings make it possible to make different kinds of espresso from a mere press of a button.
An easy to use but hard to clean machine isn’t convenient in any way. Before you decide to pay for the machine, make sure that you figure out how you will be cleaning it and the availability of all the materials that will be needed in the process.
However much machines with additional features are considered to be the best, you are likely to spend more effort and time cleaning them. The best espresso machine should take the least time possible to clean out.
The warranty placed on a product should be able to help you gauge how durable it is likely to be. What are other customers saying about the durability of the machine? You probably wouldn’t want to buy an espresso machine every now and then, therefore, you need to get the right product from the word go.
The type of material that has been used to make the product should also give you a lead on what to expect from it in terms of durability. Stainless steel models are the most durable and efficient when it comes to heat distribution.
Electrically powered and automated machines are also likely to require frequent maintenance compared to the manual ones. But the bottom line is solely on how you handle the product.
- Drink Preferences
The taste and flavor that you need to have on your brewed espresso is another important factor that you need to pay close attention to. What are your preferences? Are they cappuccinos, mochas or just espresso?
Such will help you determine whether you need to buy a machine with many boilers or not. Your needs are of great priority and that’s why you should only buy what will serve you satisfactorily.
- Additional Features
There are some extra features that might be helpful when included in an espresso machine. Such are things like cup warmers, water filters, frothing wands, built-in coffee grinders and programmable settings. All these can be included to bring the best out of your machine.
- Cost of the Machine
There are so many things that do contribute to price variations of different espresso machines. These are things like extra features, size, durability, and taste among others. You should, however, choose a fairly priced product that is within your budget.
How to Use an Espresso Machine
- You need to first clean the machine by detaching the portafilter and wiping it clean to remove leftover residues.
- Dispense the freshly ground coffee beans into the portafilter using the bean grinder.
- Level the grounds in a circular motion and remove crumbs lingering at the edges.
- Tamp the grounds evenly
- Have the portafilter re-attached to the group head
- Brew into a shot glass until it gets to your preferred volume
- Empty the shot into an espresso cup
- Have the cup placed on a saucer that has a spoon and serves
Ways to Clean an Espresso Machine
- Maintenance After Every Use
This includes scrubbing of the basket and portafilter using a scrubby pad or nylon brush. After this, use hot water to rinse them then dry using a clean towel. You also need to clean the gasket with nylon brush after everyday usage.
The screen and the group’s underside need to be cleaned as well. Then backwash the espresso machine and turn the group to run for a couple of seconds and repeat the process. Then sanitize its steel arm.
- Deep Cleaning Weekly
This involves the use of specially formulated cleaners once a week. The machine is disassembled during this cleaning process where the components are then soaked into the cleaning solutions. Scrub and properly rinse the components.
Here, a descaling solution is needed and is often done every 3 to 4 months. This aims at removing mineral deposits from water that might have built up. The solution is run through the steam wand.
You can get more information on how to clean your espresso machine here.
With an espresso machine, you can be assured that you will enjoy high-quality coffee that exceeds what you always get at a coffee shop. Getting the right machine is what is a bit challenging, but with this guide, you have all the information you need to make the right choice. You can decide to start small and advance with time.
But you can consider buying the CISNO Electric Espresso Machine as it is the best espresso machine you can possibly come across. It is affordable, easy to use and portable among other great features that it has. We would, therefore, like to recommend it for your use.