When it comes to comforting and soul-soothing meals, few can compete with the classic homemade chicken and dumplings.
This timeless dish has been passed down through generations, evoking feelings of warmth and nostalgia.
With tender chunks of chicken, flavorful broth, and pillowy dumplings, it’s no wonder this recipe has stood the test of time.
In this blog post, I’ll guide you through a step-by-step process to create your own version of the Homemade chicken and dumplings recipe.
So, put on your kitchen apron and get ready to make the delicious dumplings that will transport you back to cozy family gatherings and cherished memories.
|Prep: 15-20 Minutes
Cook: 35-40 Minutes
- 1 whole chicken (approximately 4 pounds), cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 3/4 cup milk
- Fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish)
- Prepare the chicken:
- Rinse the chicken pieces under cold water and pat them dry with paper towels.
- Season the chicken generously with salt and pepper.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken pieces and brown them on all sides until golden brown. This step will enhance the flavor of the dish.
- Once the chicken is browned, remove it from the pot and set it aside.
- Prepare the broth:
- In the same pot, add the diced onion, carrots, celery, and minced garlic.
- Sauté the vegetables until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Pour in the chicken broth, scraping the bottom of the pot to release any browned bits.
- Add the bay leaves, dried thyme, dried parsley, and season with salt and pepper.
- Return the chicken to the pot along with any accumulated juices.
- Bring the broth to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and let it simmer, covered, for about 1 hour or until the chicken is tender and cooked through.
- Prepare the dumplings:
- In a mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the cold, cubed butter to the bowl and use a pastry cutter or your fingertips to cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Gradually add the milk to the bowl and stir until the dough comes together. The dough should be soft and slightly sticky.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead it gently for a minute.
- Roll the dough into a ¼-inch thickness and cut it into squares or rounds, about 2 inches in size.
- Assemble and cook:
- Remove the cooked chicken pieces from the pot and shred them using two forks. Discard the bones and skin.
- Return the shredded chicken to the pot, stir it into the broth, and bring it back to a simmer.
- Drop the dumplings into the simmering broth, one at a time, making sure to distribute them evenly.
- Cover the pot and let the dumplings cook for about 15-20 minutes, or until they are cooked through and have puffed up.
- Serve and enjoy:
- Remove the bay leaves from the pot and discard them.
- Ladle the chicken and dumplings into bowls, making sure to get a generous amount of broth, chicken, and dumplings in each serving.
- Garnish with freshly chopped parsley for a pop of color and added freshness.
- Serve the chicken and dumplings hot, and enjoy the comforting flavors and textures that will transport you to a place of pure culinary bliss.
Tips and Variations:
- For added flavor, you can season the chicken with herbs such as rosemary, sage, or thyme before browning it.
- Feel free to customize the vegetables in the dish according to your preference. You can add peas, corn, or mushrooms for additional depth and texture.
- If you prefer a thicker broth, you can create a slurry by combining a few tablespoons of flour with cold water and whisking it until smooth. Stir the slurry into the broth and let it simmer for a few minutes until thickened.
- If you’re short on time, you can use pre-cooked chicken or rotisserie chicken instead of cooking a whole chicken. Simply shred the cooked chicken and add it to the broth.
- For a creamy twist, you can stir in a splash of heavy cream or add a dollop of sour cream to the broth before serving.
Homemade chicken and dumplings are a classic dish that never fails to warm the soul and bring comfort to the table. With its tender chicken, flavorful broth, and fluffy dumplings, this recipe is a true crowd-pleaser. Whether you’re reminiscing about childhood memories or creating new ones with loved ones, this dish is a perfect choice for a satisfying and heartwarming meal. So, roll up your sleeves, gather the ingredients, and follow the step-by-step instructions to create your own homemade chicken and dumplings. The aroma that fills your kitchen and the taste that fills your mouth will be well worth the effort. Enjoy this taste of nostalgia and savor every bite of this timeless comfort food.
Need More Chicken recipes? Read our latest blog and let’s make the dish to celebrate a day special and memorable!